The individual occupying this position works under the direct supervision of the Sargent of Public Safety and is responsible for providing basic security coverage at the site to which he/she is assigned.
ESSENTIAL & CORE FUNCTIONS:
- In the absence of a receptionist, the Public Safety Officer controls the movement of all staff, clients and guests into and out of the site and provides routine assistance to those seeking directions to individual offices or units.
- Insures that all who enter and leave the facility sign in and out in the log books provided.
- Responds to staff requests for emergency assistance is controlling individuals who may be a threat to themselves and those around them or who may be intent on damaging agency property.
- Periodically controls the facility to which he is assigned to check on the physical security of the building and to discourage would-be criminals from causing harm to agency personnel or property.
- When previously arrived, the Public Safety Officer opens the facility at the start of the business day and/or deactivates the alarm system as required.
- When previously arranged, the Public Safety Officer serves as the Agency’s contact with central alarm stations when these stations notify the Agency of off-hour activation or burglar and/or fire alarms at the site.
- Performs other duties and special projects as assigned.
PREREQUISITES & QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE POSITION:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Two years of experience in security, law enforcement or a related field required.
- Valid FBI clearance, PA criminal record check and PA child abuse required.
COMPETENCIES & PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Good verbal skills; commanding presence; firm; fair and even-handed manner in dealing with others.
- Ability to work independently with minimum on-site supervision.
- Ability to deal with people with mental or emotional handicaps.
- Demonstrated ability to think clearly and act in emergency or high pressure situations.
ORGANIZATIONAL ACCOUNTABILITY & RELATIONSHIPS:
- The individual is to be supervised by the Sargent of Public Safety.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.